Swadhina: Changing Life & Living
Swadhina (Self-esteemed Women), established in 1986, is primarily a civil society organization focused on Empowerment of women & Child Development based on Sustainable Development and Right Lively hood.
At Swadhina we believe that positive social change has a direct effect on the lives of women and that change is possible only through an equal and spontaneous participation of Women. We are active in five states across the country in remote tribal districts of Singbhums in Jharkhand, Purulia and West Midnapur in West Bengal, Kanya Kumari in Tamil Nadu, Mayurbhanj in Orissa and East Champaran in Bihar. Over 3200 families, 80 villages, 5100 women and 2400 children belonging to economically backward classes are covered under Swadhina programmes.
Women’s Empowerment Through:
- Promoting Grass-Root level Women’s Organization
- Fostering Functional Literacy, Education & Social Awareness generation
- Augmenting Participation of Women in Local Governance
- Encouraging Women’s Income Generation & economic capacity building
- Strengthening Women’s Participation in Agriculture & Food Security support
- Upholding Non-Violence & Social Empowerment
- Improving Family Health & Nutrition
Child Development Through:
- Supporting Child Education
- Promoting Sports & Games
- Advancing Environment & Eco-logical awareness
Some of the Highlight Activities are:
- Providing Functional Literacy Classes for women where they would learn things pertinent to their practical life like keeping an account of their grains, learning to count profit from vegetable sales, knowing the basics of health -care like reading a thermometer, knowing the nutrition needs of their family etc. Besides these, providing basic literacy know-how of simple reading and writing, knowing-how to sign their names.
- Providing small-scale income generation schemes for women so that they may have alternative sources of income during the period when they do not have agriculture. This would also help the women to be self-dependant, giving them power to stand-up on their own during adverse circumstances.
- Providing supportive health care for women through health awareness camps, promoting healthy living & nutrition through nutrition demonstration camps and providing awareness on cheap, indigenous nutrition alternatives.
-Providing Skill-trainings through Capacity Building processes. This would give a scope for the women to have a better life and a better tomorrow. Also these trainings would have a social impact. Trainings on local, emergency health care for young women, making environment-friendly products, developing food pro-ducts using locally available re-sources would be some of the trainings imparted under this scheme.
Our Project Management:
Swadhina head quarter is located in Kolkata. It has adequate logistic and administrative infrastructure like 2 four-wheelers, 4 two wheelers to support mobility in monitoring of projects. Fully equipped project office and field offices in Kolkata, Ghatsila, Bondih (Rural Jharkhand in East Singbhum District) Sasandih (Rural West Bengal in Purulia District) Garbeta (Rural West Bengal in Midnapur District) and Kanyakumari (Tamil Nadu) for providing effective administrative support. All Swadhina projects are Log Frame based for transparent Implementation. Accounting systems are fully computerized and maintained in standard international format. Qualified personnel manage the MIS desk for comprehensive Report, Documentation and Re-search tasks. A creative media desk look after the audio-visual support of the projects. All Programme desks area headed by well experienced staff.